Founded in 2002, by President William J. Clinton and Ira C. Magaziner, the Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (“CHAI”)
Founded in 2002, by President William J. Clinton and Ira C. Magaziner, the Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (“CHAI”) is a global health organization committed to saving lives, reducing the burden of disease and strengthening integrated health systems in the developing world.
Overview of CHAI Vaccines Kenya
CHAI Vaccines is looking for a Program Coordinator to implement a new program of work in Kenya focused on strengthening immunization program performance management within the Ministry of Health’s Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI). The vision of this program will be to assist the EPI to:
- Support the Gavi Health System Strengthening (HSS) Coordination Unit (CU) to oversee HSS focus counties’ performance against Gavi HSS grant goals;
- Support EPI to strengthen immunization program performance management in counties; and
- Support the implementation and management of the Gavi HSS grant activities in counties.
The Program Coordinator will be part of an established team in Kenya that works very closely with the EPI, interacting on a regular basis with government officials, donors, NGOs and civil society organizations.
The successful candidate will have three primary areas of responsibility.
Immunization strategic plan design and implementation
- Work with the EPI and Coordination Unit (CU) to establish robust processes for program performance management of HSS activities. This could include supporting the EPI and CU to:
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the CU
- Develop and implement standardized tools to facilitate timely and high-quality reporting from HSS counties to the CU
- Support the scale up of strategic planning tools and best practices developed by CHAI over the past 3 years to 8 new focus counties
- Work with county EPI staff to embed and fully transition strategic planning tools and best practices to 5 previous focus counties
Execution of immunization strategic plans
- Work with the EPI and CU to develop and implement a robust HSS performance review process, including supporting the systematic tracking of HSS activity implementation, helping identify roadblocks to efficient implementation, and problem-solving solutions
- Support the scale up of strategic plan review tools, processes and best practices developed by CHAI over the past 3 years to 8 new focus counties
- Support county EPI staff in 8 new focus counties to implement priority HSS interventions
- Work with county EPI staff to embed and fully transition strategic plan review tools, processes and best practices to 5 previous focus counties
Capability building for immunization program management
- Identify opportunities for mentoring/on-the job skill transfer for national EPI, CU members, and county officials
- Develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders in government, international partners, donors and NGOs, and ensure coordination of resources and efforts;
- Continually identify opportunities for CHAI to add value and maximize impact; document and share lessons learned
- A high quality degree from a top University (preference for Masters’ level)
- 3-5 years of work experience in a demanding results-driven environment
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Strong analytical skills with proficiency at Microsoft Excel
- The ability to build relationships with senior stakeholders and quickly demonstrate credibility
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, including proficiency at Microsoft PowerPoint
- Strong process management skills, high level of organisation and good attention to detail
- Deep experience in programme management and project delivery, ability to work proactively within a context of ambiguity and to remain focused on impact
- Proven track record working in challenging multi-stakeholder environments
- First-hand experience of strategic capability building, with previous exposure to strategy work at organization level
- Experience working with government institutions
- Personal qualities including resourcefulness, entrepreneurialism, flexibility, independence, humility and strong work ethic.
- Experience working on health related issues in resource-limited settings
- Knowledge of health systems strengthening and/or global healthcare systems